Thursday, January 27, 2011

Playing street pianos in New York City

We were going through some photo and video files from our vacation this last summer.  We had gone to the East Coast and New York City and had taken lots of pictures, but had not gone through the videos on my mom's BlackBerry. 

Last summer, there was a really neat art project in New York City.  Basically, an artist placed 40 pianos around the five boroughs and had local artists decorate each one.  They were all over the place, like at Times Square, Madison Square Gardens, Battery Park, Julliard, etc.  The web site that tells more about this is http://www.streetpianos.com/.
We found several of the pianos and played them.  They all said "Play Me, I'm Yours" on them!  Of course, we had lots of fun.  I played some Schumann, Gershwin, and even Lady Ga Ga that day, while my brothers played Rachmaninoff and more!
I hadn't realized that my mom took a video of me playing at Times Square.  The piano was literally sitting on the curb so taxi cabs would zip by at 30 mph.  In fact, my brother was playing one time and a cabbie reached out and gave him a $1 tip!  It was so cool. 





In the video I have uploaded, a man in the upper left corner is teasing me that I "can't play" piano without any music.  There are also two men in the upper center of the video who are talking about that day being the birthday of one of them, named "Apollo."  So, I decided that it would be fun to play "Happy Birthday" for Apollo.  The look and expressions on their faces was priceless! 

No comments:

Post a Comment