Wednesday, January 12, 2011

12/19/2010 Speech Team speaking at Challenger Elementary


On December 19, 2010, our high school speech coach asked several members of our team to give an "informance" on the Speech Team to Challenger Elementary School.  I presented one of my stories for the category "Storytelling," which I took to the State Speech meet last spring.  As you can see from the photo, several members of our team gave an explanation of how we like to find our pieces-  from our favorite books to our favorite plays-  and then interpret them in different ways to highlight our favorite elements.  This group of my friends love to speak in public.  Can you imagine giving a speech in front of a large crowd?  We live for it! 

In Minnesota, there are 13 different speech categories, broken into 2 basic types-  Public address and Oral Interpretation.  I have competed in both.  Public address includes such events as Informative, Original Oratory, Extemporaneous Speaking, and more.  Oral Interp includes such events as Storytelling, Humor, Drama, Prose, Poetry, and more.  Its great fun to be able to take a piece of literature or drama and cut it into a speech specifically designed to portray a specific message and emotion. 

I am using these skills to present my platform, "Explore Your Back Yard:  Visit Your State Parks."  I encourage you to check out a park today!

No comments:

Post a Comment