Wednesday, January 12, 2011

12/20/2010 High School Orchestra Concert

Many people know that I play piano, but I play the cello, too!  I have been playing cello since fourth grade.  My Mom and Dad started my next two brothers and I in orchestra at the same time.  I, of course, on cello, My brother, Brett, on string bass, and Brayden on violin.  At that time, I was in 4th grade, while Brett was in 3rd grade and Brayden was in first grade.  We actually practiced together every morning for the first year.  Imagine listening to cello, bass, and violin playing together, out of a first year book, where the songs are all the same, but each is in a different key!  It was hidious!  But Mom and Dad kept up an hour a day (6 AM) practice routine so that we would learn quickly.  Now, in the High School Orchestra, I am first chair cello, Brett is a 10th grader as first chair bass, and Brayden is first chair 2nd violin as an eighth grader.  We are deeply indebted to Mom and Dad for making us start that practice together many years ago.  Of course, we are also thankful to the many teachers who have helped us along the way-  Mr. Druse, our high school orchestra teacher, Mr. Buchmeier (Crookston High School Orchestra Teacher who is Brett's bass teacher), Mrs. Welsh, (UND cellist and my cello teacher).  

Our high school orchestra had its Christmas Concert on December 20, 2010.  Christmas concerts are my favorites because we often get to play classical Christmas Hymns as well as contemporary pieces, too!   We had a special treat in this concert-  A good family friend of ours, Jim Van Schaick, was asked to play electric guitar with our orchesta as we played an arrangement of Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Christmas Sarajevo.  We even had students playing our electric Vipers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment