Saturday, January 22, 2011

1/12/2011 Mrs. Larson's Music Classes, MCC Elementary School, Newfolden, MN

On Wednesday, January 12, 2011 I had the opportunity to visit the Newfolden Elementary School and while I was there, Mrs. Larson, their music teacher, asked if I would address her music classes and share some of my experiences with music performance, notably piano.  I shared with the classes that I have studied piano for 13 years and that amount of time has helped me earn the ability to play some very fun pieces.  I then played my Gershwin Preludes for Piano for the class.  These pieces are incredibly difficult due to the technique and synchopation.  I always stress that music, much like sports, and everything we do in life, requires practice and dedication.  Just like all other starting pianists, I learned how to play by learning about half steps and whole steps, sharps and flats, majors and minors, and of course, scales.  It has taken years to get to this point, but it has been a labor of love as I enjoy playing my piano whenever I can.  One of the neat things about piano is that you can use it to play just about anything.  Not only can one play Gershwin or Prokofiev, like my current piano concerto, but also Lady Ga Ga, Justin Bieber, and more!  Music is a wonderful lifelong skill to have- and-  it just gets better with practice.  So, for all of you aspiring musicians in Mrs. Larson's class, get practicing!




No comments:

Post a Comment