Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/10/2011 Farewell Address



“Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."
Proverbs 16:3


On September 11th, 2010, as the hot stage lights shone down and my heart was racing, I felt a beautiful crown placed on my head while the emcee introduced me as your Miss Red River Valley Outstanding Teen 2010. At that moment, everything in my life changed. I couldn’t have even begun to imagine what was in store for the year. So many wonderful, beautiful, and inspiring moments took place that I will never forget- from promoting my platform, “Explore Your Backyard: Visit Your Minnesota State Parks and Trails!” by visiting thousands of children in their classrooms all across the Red River Valley, to raising funds at charity events with the Children’s Miracle Network. I visited with legislators on the floor of the State House of Representatives, was named a featured artist playing a piano concerto on Minnesota Public Radio, competed in the Miss Minnesota Outstanding Teen pageant, and much more. I have been blessed with a lifetime of opportunities and experiences that have helped me grow as a young woman, and there are many people that have helped me along the way.
First, I want to thank my Savior, Jesus Christ, who has blessed me with such a journey and makes everything possible.
To my parents, Jodi and Joe, thank you for everything you have done for me. You believe in me and my platform and put forth every effort to make me the successful person that I am today and I am forever grateful. This year I put you to the test asking to make appearances at schools all over the Red River Valley. More than once you drove me to live interviews or piano performances during a blizzard. You sacrificed your time to take day after day off of work to help me promote my platform to students, legislators, State Park Rangers, civic groups, and more!
To my brothers and sisters- get ready for this list- Brett, Brayden, Brock, Brielle, Brigham, Brynn, Bralynne, Brenna, and Brooke, thank you all for helping and supporting me with everything! While the little girls often waved in parades with me, my brothers could be found handing out brochures explaining my platform. At one parade my little sisters even dressed up in their Disney “Princess” dresses with me! Each of you has lent me a listening ear, and re-arranged your schedule to fit mine. I can honestly say that my siblings are the best friends I could ever have.
To my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and extended family, thank you for your love and support and for being my “cheering section!”
For my dear friend Kathryn Knuttila, Miss Minnesota 2010- I watch everything you do in awe and admiration. Ever since we played in our first piano recital together 11 years ago, I have found your dedication and hard work inspirational. Thank you for believing in me and even helping to arrange several performances together. I’ll never forget our Easter weekend together performing in Frazee! Your mom and dad are pretty cool, too!
To Melissa and Shelley Bunkowske and Amber Nelson, your hard work and dedication to the Miss Red River Valley Outstanding Teen and Miss Moorhead program has been amazing. Thank you for the encouragement and tips, and for going the extra mile with me.
To my friends at the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, thank you for having faith in me by helping me promote my platform. I couldn’t have worked with a better organization who is so dedicated to their cause. With your help, I was able to hand out over twelve thousand Minnesota State Parks and Trails maps and information packets to people all over the region. Together we helped make over six thousand Minnesota students into “Junior State Park Explorers.”
To my piano teacher, Marcia Knuttila, thank you for your love and patience, not only through piano and music, but through life as well. I am so blessed to have you as my teacher and friend.
To my fifteen piano students, I express my gratitude for your patience, love, and support. More than once each of you changed your lesson schedules to accommodate my appearance calendar. Each of you has been an inspiration to me through your diligent practice and study during our hectic year!
Music has been such an important part of my life so I'd like to thank my friends Christine Sweet and Daniel Gilliam at Minnesota Public Radio and Minnesota Varsity. Thank you for offering the Varsity competition to highlight Minnesota's upcoming high school musicians. I am blessed to have had the opportunity to have your staff in Thief River Falls for a professional recording session as well as performance opportunities such as the Minnesota State Fair!
Thank you to Donna Thoele and Thoele Photography for the beautiful photographs and cover pages for the Miss Minnesota Outstanding Teen Pageant! Your artistry is amazing and your support and friendship is astounding.
I’d like to thank several automobile dealerships for use of their vehicles, too. For several parades in Fargo and Moorhead, Ward Muscatell has been a great partner; and for parades in the Frazee area, thank you to my friends at Nereson Chevrolet in Detroit Lakes. In Thief River Falls, I was supported by Thief River Ford. All of these dealerships have been supportive of the Miss Red River Valley Outstanding Teen program.
Speaking of great cars, I offer a special “thank you” to Brent Fuller of Thief River Falls. I was able to ride in his Ford Mustang Convertible in several parades. What girl wouldn’t like that? Many thanks as well to Sherry Sorenson for arranging appearances in multiple parades in Northern Minnesota!
Thank you to the Thief River Falls Elks and Mayor Steve Nordhagen for their support and sponsorship at the Miss Minnesota Outstanding Teen pageant.
To State Representative Dan Fabian- I am forever grateful to you for arranging my visit to the Minnesota State House of Representatives. I am especially thankful for being able to open a house session with Speaker Kurt Zellers and for your efforts to introduce me to dozens of state legislators and helping to promote my platform.
To Tiffany, my lovely sister queen, thank you for leading by example and for our many wonderful memories together. I cannot wait to see what the Lord has in store for you.
To my Miss Minnesota Outstanding Teen sisters, thank you for making the pageant a one-of-a-kind experience that was unforgettable!
To the Red River Valley, thank you for embracing me with open arms. I am so honored to have represented such a wonderful part of Minnesota!
To my successor, you have such an amazing year ahead of you. I wish the next Miss Red River Valley Outstanding Teen nothing short of the absolute best and as Miss Minnesota 2010, Kathryn Knuttila once said, “remember the 3 G's: be Gracious, be Genuine, and be a Gift to others.”
I hope this gives a snapshot of my experience as your Miss Red River Valley Outstanding Teen. Full details, more experiences, lots of pictures, and several videos can be found on my blog, www.BriannaDrevlow..com. As I complete the last step in my journey tonight by crowning your new Miss Red River Valley Outstanding Teen, I would like to say thank you with an overwhelmed heart to everyone who has inspired me along the way.
With Love,
Brianna Leigh Drevlow
Miss Red River Valley Outstanding Teen 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment